Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday: If I Had A Million Dollars....

I have to say that, as a perpetual student, the concept of having a million dollars (or even ten dollars...!) to spend any way I wish sounds like an experiment in delirium.  Actually, the thought of a fat budget of any kind resembles delirium in the present economic climate.  Thus, as budget mayhem reigns supreme on every major news network, the topic of this week's mini-post series is: What would A. do with a million dollars?

A DISCLAIMER: Even as I write this first mini-post, I realize that the problem with so many budgets is that we think in terms of big numbers, as if only figures with flashy trailing zeros matter.  But those big numbers all began the same way -- determined by how one person (or a collection of individual people) decided to spend one little dollar. If you get too obsessed with chasing zeros around, you will eventually catch them... and have a handful of nothing with any lasting value or impact.

I must first preface by saying that, when I think of uninhibited spending, I am more inclined to dream of uninhibited giving to those charitable causes which I highly esteem.  First among those causes is an organization whose mission combines two of my most treasured passions -- medical helps and the developmental wellness of children.  My cool Monday wish-million would go to Hope's Heart Orphan Foundation.  Hope's Heart builds an international partnership of servanthood to "enrich the lives" of orphaned children in China by providing scholarships and grants for medical procedures, equipment and supplies, healthcare professionals and teachers to work with the children, special education and foster care placements.

Don't have a spare million sitting around with no one's name on it?  Well, I don't either.  Never have, and probably never will.  Fortunately, Hope's Heart Orphan Foundation dedicates 100% of donated funds to the direct needs of the children.  With truly remarkable stewardship and no administrative costs taken out of your donation, your $1 bill will be a great start to the next surgery fund, foster care match, or new infant crib.

Check out the website for Hope's Heart below!

http://www.hopesheart.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment