"One man's trash is another man's treasure," or woman's or child's... and so on.
I recently learned that the reverse is also true. Our treasures, the things to which the most extraordinary of meaning is attached, are only clutter to unknowing others. I wonder how many times it has happened that the treasures of our inner beings have become unwelcome and misplaced refuse in the life of another person. Our sincere desire was to share that which we believed to be remarkable, something uncommon, of great worth... but our investment was regarded as trivial, or even worse -- unwanted. There is perhaps no more crushing a disappointment than to see something deeply valued become worthless in the estimation of another person.
In his book "Love Beyond Reason", John Ortberg pens the story of a ragged, soiled toy that was surprisingly found to be one family's greatest treasure. It wasn't the toy in itself that indwelt such incredible value to this family (they had belongings of far more material measure); it was the person this toy represented. One member of the family had loved the toy so much that its newness had prematurely dissolved to frayed ends and stained, torn pieces. Unknown to any onlookers, something fit for rumage was regarded as gold... because the one who loved it was regarded as more valuable even still. While perhaps something so unsightly could have been viewed as an embarrassment, to part with it would have meant causing great hurt to the person who knew the stains by memory -- memories of something loved and tested rather than something unbecoming. Truly, a "Love Beyond Reason".
If only we, in our human limitations, could love and be loved so well. If for a moment, a veil could be rolled back and the things we value in the secret of our hearts could be understood as valuable to those once unknowing. Or better still, to be treasured inspite of our frayed pieces, the unfit garments, the unbecoming fatigue from times that tested and left us broken.
Yes, John Ortberg's book is about the love of Christ for broken humanity. It insists the immeasurable love of God for humankind because of God's inseparable love for Christ, who chose us and covers us in Himself.
It feels as if I'm writing this today from the garbage heap. Unaware that I was marked for disposal at the slightest flaw, I sit disillusioned among the "seconds". My comfort is my company -- remembering the rejection that marked Christ because He chose to associate with the unbecoming... with me. And my hope is knowing that there is One who esteems me not of myself, but because -- like that child's treasure -- I am valuable to His Son. Maybe I will find the courage to extend the same mercy to another.
Beautifully put. I am so thankful that I am privileged to have you in my life and the lives of my children.
ReplyDeleteSo very thankful for you, too, Friend.
ReplyDelete